Early Years Foundation Stage
Welcome to our EYFS. Have a look at the photos below to see what we get up to in school!
The Nursery and Reception classes follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum. This curriculum begins at birth and continues until the end of your child’s Reception year, when they are assessed against 17 Early Learning Goals (ELGs). They are split into the following areas:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – Making Relationship; Self Confidence and Self Awareness; Managing Feeling and Behaviour
- Communication and Language – Listening and Attention; Understanding; Speaking
- Physical Development – Moving and Handling; Health and Self Care
- Literacy – Reading; Writing
- Maths – Number; Shape, Space and Measure
- Understanding the World – People and Communities; The World; Technology
- Expressive Arts and Design – Being Imaginative; Exploring and Using Media and Materials
Our curriculum is based on play and developing independence. We provide a wide and balanced range of activities to promote learning. Sometimes these are led by an adult and other times led by the child; with them selecting the things they need. We plan around the children’s interests and learning needs. The Nursery and Reception classes share a spacious, purpose built outdoor area; we understand the importance of outdoor learning and the benefits it has on our pupils every day. We also share children’s learning through an online Learning Journey called Tapestry, and welcome regular contributions by parents and carers.
To find out more about this key stage, click the link below to go to our policies page where there is the Early Years Foundation Stage policy.